Sep 8, 2012

Mom's Banana Bread

From: my mom.

I nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't find this recipe today - and with 4 dead bananas on my counter staring me in the eyeballs, the pressure was almost too much. It was found, loose, at the bottom of a cabinet full of random things, underneath some souvenir shot glasses I acquired in the 90's. The important part is that it was found and that it is now cataloged on Grigg Family Favorites. Sadly, I developed an allergy to both bananas and nuts but my family enjoys this recipe and who can let dead bananas go to waste?

PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees

SOAK 1 C raisins or other dried fruit (go crazy) in some liquor (my mom uses grand marnier and she measures it - I use whatever I have on hand and I just throw it in there) 

COMBINE
4 T melted, cooled butter
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1 C granulated sugar
1 large egg

In a seperate bowl COMBINE
1.5 C whole wheat flour (this makes it an appropriate breakfast food)
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda

MIX wet and dry ingredients together

FOLD in the fruit (with juices) and 1 C chopped nuts

POUR into greased loaf pan.

BAKE 45 minutes.

MY NOTES: The baking bit usually takes longer. Maybe its my oven I don't know. But I start checking it at 45 minutes. It takes longer.  I've always been really snooty about spreading real butter on this and not margarine but since I don't eat it anymore, spread crappy margarine on it if you like. All I can say to that is, ew.




No comments: