From Roti N Rice
- 1 cup (170g) wild rice
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¾ cup (115g) all-purpose flour
- 8 cups (1.9 liters) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups (300g) cooked chicken, cubed
- 8 oz (225g) mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup (240 ml) half-and-half
- ½ cup (25g) chopped parsley
Cook wild rice in 4 cups (960ml) of water for 45 minutes or until it fluffs up. Drain any remaining liquid left in the pot. Set aside.
In a large pot, add vegetable oil. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery until soften, about 3 minutes. Add dried thyme and all-purpose flour. Cook and stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
Add cooked chicken, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
Add cooked wild rice and pour in half-and-half. Bring soup back up to a boil and allow it to heat through, about 5 minutes.
Turn off heat. Stir in chopped parsley.